Sources for Creative Commons and Public Domain photos
Photos are not required to list plants and collections. If you are adding plants, please don’t feel the need to include a photo if you don’t have one.
We encourage you to use your own photos. The intent of Plants Map is to allow everyone to document plants in their own words and photos using their experiences and information about the plants they add to their profile. We encourage plant stories that are original, authentic, and unique to the user’s profile.
Any other photos should only be used with permission or from a source that allows common use. All photos that are not your own should include the appropriate citation. Always read, understand and follow the photo citation requirements depending on your source.
Sources of photos with public domain or Creative Commons usage
- The NY Public Library Digital Commons
- Biodiversity Heritage Library
- Wikimedia Commons
- Find an Image from USGS Education
- Flickr Creative Commons
- Google Advanced Image Search
Citations may be given in different places
- Captions: Each photo allows for a caption that can include a citation.
- Story Hyperlinks: You can add a citation hyperlink in the story of a plant or collection.
- Reference Links: Each plant profile has Reference Link fields to save website links with additional information such as links to botanical gardens, cooperative extensions, universities, brands, databases, catalogs, etc.